Shiva is an optional boss battle you can take on in Chapter 8 – Budding Bodyguard. Just explore Sector 5 while Aerith is in the Leaf House and talk to Chadley. He’ll let you take on a VR mission and fight Shiva.
Tips: How to Beat Shiva
Defeating Shiva will make the Shiva Summoning Materia available to you so this is a battle worth taking on. Watch the video below to see her attacks (and defeat) in action. Keep reading for suggested Materia to use and tips for fending her off.
- Fire Materia – In case her icy attacks and blue skin didn’t tip you off Shiva is weak against fire. She also moves constantly (and gracefully) across the battle field so Fire magic spells are the best attack at your disposal.
- Cure Materia – Unlike other battles, Cloud is in this by himself so you’re gonna have to bring your A game to take down Shiva. This also means you’ll want to be able to heal yourself after some of her icy hits inevitably land.
- Ifrit Summon Materia – Since Shiva is weak against fire, ifrit is the perfect summon.
- Elemental Materia – link this to your Fire Materia because doing so will add Fire to your equipment, infusing your attacks with and gaining resistance to Fire.
- Magic Up Materia – physical attacks aren’t as effective against Shiva and with fire being your best attack you’ll want your Fire Magic Spell to do as much damage as possible.
- Also consider HP Up – depending on your style you may prefer more HP over being more powerful.
- Earrings – to increase your magic by 5%
Shiva’s Attacks and How to Deal With Them:
Shiva has plenty of Icy attacks to watch out for. Rather than traditional boss waves, she’ll keep rotating between these during the battle:
- Icicles – watch our for the icicles coming your way. Your best bet is to block them.
- Whiteout – when Shiva sits down that’s your signal that the Whiteout attack is coming. Essentially, it’s a beam of ice that shoots across the floor at you. You can dodge this if you time it right but if not you’ll be stunned sleepy.
- Icicle Impact – with a wave of her hand Shiva will let our a burst of ice that will coat the floor and stick out at you. You can block this and once it shatters run towards her and start attacking.
- Blizarra – a burst of ice will fly towards you to form a crystal that will explode a few seconds later (doing even more damage). Block the inital hit and then roll/run away from the crystal that forms.
- Frost Familiars – frosted orbs will hover around Shiva and fly towards you, randomly. Be ready to block them.
- Diamond Dust: does 1024 damage and can’t be avoided. Once Shiva encircles you, leaving a trail of ice behind, this attack will land. She does this towards the end of battle. Keep your health up throughout to ensure that you’ll survive it.