Welcome to Picnic Road
When you enter Picnic Road, you’ll notice that the road continues on up the mountain. In this walkthrough, we will follow the road and unlock each secret as we progress up the mountain. From the entrance, you can see Not-Bottomless Hole#1 on the left. It’ll take several handfuls of confetti to fix. Hammer the flowers and shrubs if you need to refill.
Toad Rescue #1 ✓
- Toad Rescue #1: After fixing the Not-Bottomless Hole to the left of the entrance, walk left to reach the corner and use your Hammer on the shrub to find the Toad.
Follow the road slightly up, fix Not-Bottomless Hole#2 on your left, on the side of the cliff. Once you make it slightly higher up that slope, Olivia will marvel at the surroundings. After the cutscene, walk over to the ridge on the left. Use the image below as reference when following along with the next section. We will be rescuing every Toad in this area before advancing to the next point. Everything in this section is in the area before reaching the sign at the center of Picnic Road. Be sure to fix the five different Not-Bottomless Holes (3-7). Throughout Picnic Road, you’ll find tiny holes on the ground or walls – hit these types of holes with your Hammer to receive something – some have Toads, some coins or confetti. Holes that do not contain a secret unlockable will not be mentioned in this guide.
Toad Rescue #2 ✓
- Toad Rescue #2: After fixing Not-Bottomless Hole#3, there will be a tiny hole on the ground. Hammer it to make a Toad pop out. Then, press and hold A to pull the Toad out of the ground.
Walk to the foreground to find a curve of fences. Hammer the slanted one that’s behind the Origami Shy Guy to open a path and defeat the enemy.
Toad Rescue #3 ✓
- Toad Rescue #3: There are a trio of folded Toads in the area within the fence. Use your Hammer to rescue each one.
Toad Rescue #4 ✓
- Toad Rescue #4: In the corner to the left of the tree, there is an Origami Shy Guy folding a Toad. Defeat the Shy Guy to rescue the Toad. This Toad actually likes being folded!
Beside the corner where you rescued the folded Toad, there is a cave opening into the mountain. Follow it to reach the ?-Block containing a Fire Flower on the extended ledge.
Toad Rescue #5 ✓
- Toad Rescue #5: The butterfly flying along on the ridge in front of Not-Bottomless Hole#7 is actually a Toad. Hammer it to set the Toad free.
Toad Rescue #6 ✓
- Toad Rescue #6: Hammer the wall beneath the tiny hole. Keep hammering to shake the Toad free.
Toad Rescue #7 ✓
- Toad Rescue #7: At the far left corner of the area just past the tree, there is a yellow flower in the center of a ring of flowers. Hammer the yellow flower to rescue the Toad.
Talk to the Koopa Troopa
Follow Picnic Road up the mountain to reach a Koopa Troopa standing next to a sign. You’ll be informed of a “situation” happening at the Earth Vellumental Temple. The Koopas will run off down the stairs on the right side. In this area around the pond, there are two Not-Bottomless Holes(8-9) on the wall. After patching up the holes, walk over to the block on the right side of the pond. Stand on it, then hammer it on the right-hand side to make a Hidden ?-Block appear. Continue doing this until revealing the third and last Hidden Block containing 100 coins.
Toad Rescue #8 ✓
- Toad Rescue #8: After triggering the row of hidden blocks in the pond, wait for the swan to come close. Then hit it with your Hammer to rescue the Toad.
Toad Rescue #9 ✓
- Toad Rescue #9: Hit the back of the sign with a Hammer to cause the Toad to drop. Then hit the Toad with your Hammer.
Check Out the Situation
Now is a good time to go check out what that “situation” was. Use the stairs on the right to go down. Fix Not-Bottomless Hole#10 at the corner of the platform beside the railings. Continue going down the stairs until you reach the abandoned Accessory Shop. Hit the table with your Hammer to open the umbrella and gain coins. Leave the umbrella open.
Toad Rescue #10 ✓
- Toad Rescue #10: With the umbrella now open, go back up the stairs. From the middle platform, drop onto the umbrella to reach the Toad inside the secluded archway.
Toad Rescue #11 ✓
- Toad Rescue #11: You can walk inside the building that is behind the Save Block. You can see a coin through the window. Walk inside and Hammer the spot next to that window to rescue the Toad.
Toad Rescue #12 ✓
- Toad Rescue #12: There is a table to the right of the accessories shop. Hammer the Toad that is folded on top of the table. This is the Toad that runs the Accessory Shop in Toad Town!
Learning About the Vellumental
Rescuing the Toad Town Accessory Shop owner means the store is now open for business. If you visit it at this time, they will have two items available. As you approach the Koopa Troopas, they’ll inform you of the situation. Four of the five Shell Stones have been stolen. They need you to find them and bring them back. The fifth stone is currently being snatched by an Origami Shy Guy. Walk up to the Shy Guy and hit it with your Hammer and defeat it in battle. For this battle, Olivia will remind you that you can press and hold the + button to add more time to the countdown clock. At the foreground in front of the Earth Vellumental door, fix Not-Bottomless Hole#11 to gain access to the lower area.
Toad Rescue #13 ✓
- Toad Rescue #13: To the right of Earth Vellumental’s door, there is a statue inside an archway. To get there, go to the right corner in the foreground. You’ll find some boxes next to the stalls. Hop onto the boxes to reach the top of the stalls. Then walk over to the wall. From there, look to the right to see a small archway. Break the statue inside this archway to make a Magic Circle appear. Then use the 1,000-Fold Arms to reach up to the statue and smash it to rescue a large group of Toads.
Toad Rescue #14 ✓
- Toad Rescue #14: After fixing Not-Bottomless Hole#11, walk down to the ledge below. Break the leftmost statue to gain access to the area behind it. Walk to the right, through a hidden passage to find a Scaredy Rat munching on a Toad. Defeat the Scaredy Rat to rescue the Toad.
Your objective now is to find four Shell Stones and bring them to the Earth Vellumental door. None of them are located in Picnic Road, but there are still plenty of secrets to find. Head back up the stairs to reach the pond with the sign in front of it. As you make your way toward the sign, keep heading left, passing it, and reaching the area behind some bushes.
Toad Rescue #15 ✓
- Toad Rescue #15: Behind the bushes, on the left (almost at the edge of the cliff), use your Hammer to rescue the crumpled up Toad on the ground.
Toad Rescue #16 ✓
- Toad Rescue #16: There are some flowers to the left of the stairs that lead to the building wrapped in the streamer. Hammer the butterfly floating among those flowers to rescue the Toad.
Toad Rescue #17 ✓
- Toad Rescue #17: Hammer the mailbox in front of the building to make envelopes fly out. Hammer each of them to rescue each three Toads. The final letter in the mailbox makes reference to the Toad Sensor that will become available later in the game.
Toad Rescue #18 ✓
- Toad Rescue #18: There is a tree between the mailbox and the road, with an Origami Goomba walking around. Defeat that Goomba! Then, hammer the tree to cause a crumpled Toad to drop. Use your Hammer on the Toad to complete the rescue.
Let’s Fix Some More Holes
From the mailbox head to the right to find Not-Bottomless Hole#12. Walk a little more to the right to find a small Not-Bottomless Hole (#13). From here, follow Picnic Road making your way up the slope. On the left side you’ll notice a ledge with Not-Bottomless Hole#14. After fixing it and rescuing the butterfly-Toad (below), walk to the right to reach a small area with a flag pole. Defeating the Origami Goomba roaming to the left of the flagpole area gives you a Mushroom item. Not-Bottomless Hole#15 can be found in the area in front of the flagpole/behind the white fence.
Toad Rescue #19 ✓
- Toad Rescue #19: After fixing Not-Bottomless Hole#14, wait for the origami butterfly to float to the newly formed flowers. Once it’s in range, hammer it to rescue the Toad.
Toad Rescue #20 ✓
- Toad Rescue #20: Walk over to the sand trap near the top left of the flagpole. You’ll see two little feet sticking out of the sand. Press and hold A to pull the Toad free.
Toad Rescue #21 ✓
- Toad Rescue #21: Notice the five squares on the ground immediately to the left of the flagpole. Stand on them and then use your Hammer to make several blocks rise out of the ground. Jump up to reach the flag and pull it down Super Mario style. This will cause the top of the flagpole to shoot off and release several Toads.
Toad Rescue #22 ✓
- Toad Rescue #22: After pulling the flag down and rescuing the group of Toads, use your Hammer on the flag itself to rescue this Toad.
Toad Rescue #23 ✓
- Toad Rescue #23: There is a ring of flowers near the front side of the flagpole area, and to the left of the sand trap containing the Origami Goomba. In the center of the ring of flowers is a tiny hole. Hammer the tiny hole to rescue the Toad inside.
Toad Rescue #24 ✓
- Toad Rescue #24: After fixing Not-Bottomless Hole#15, you’ll create a ring of flowers with a tiny hole in the center. Hammer the tiny hole to cause a buttery-Toad to come out. Hit the butterfly with your Hammer to rescue the Toad.
To the Exit, But Not Really
The exit of Picnic Road is easy to spot, as it has an arrow of coins pointing to it. Stand behind the coin at the tip of the arrow. Jump to reveal a Hidden ?-Block containing a Fire Flower. Hammer the origami-dog near the exit of Picnic Road. That’s the owner of the Toad Town Battle Lab, which is a pretty helpful place! There are still several secrets available to find before leaving though! While in front of the exit, you’ll see a ?-Block on the right, next to the wall. Hit it to gain 100 coins. From the ?-Block, follow the path toward the foreground as it wraps around the cliff wall. You’ll find Not-Bottomless Hole#16, and if you keep going you’ll find the final Picnic Road Not-Bottomless Hole to the left of the large tree! That’s 100% completion for the holes!
Toad Rescue #25 ✓
- Toad Rescue #25: Toward the top of Picnic Road, right in front of the exit, there is an origami dog. Rescue the Toad by hitting it with your Hammer. This Toad operates the Battle Lab in Toad Town.
Toad Rescue #26 ✓
- Toad Rescue #26: There is a tiny hole on the cliff wall between the ?-Block and the Not-Bottomless Hole. Keep Hammering the wall below the tiny hole and Toads will emerge as you hammer. The final Toad will take a few hits of the Hammer to finally get free.
Toad Rescue #27 ✓
- Toad Rescue #27: There is a breakable rock between the two Not Bottomless Holes on this path. Hammering the rock gives you extra confetti and also reveals a tiny hole that was underneath. Hit the tiny hole with your Hammer to rescue the Toad.
Toad Rescue #28 ✓
- Toad Rescue #28: After fixing the Not-Bottomless Hole next to the tree, hammer the tree to cause a Toad to drop, and then hammer the Toad.
Toad Rescue #29 ✓
- Toad Rescue #29: From the ledge where you rescued the previous Toad, jump toward the foreground and to the right. You’ll land behind some bushes and in a small area with five tiny holes. You’re in a whack-a-mole situation to rescue this Toad. The prairie dog will pop in and out randomly throughout each, and it’s too quick for Mario to run across multiple holes. Make it easier on yourself by following this method: There are two holes close together near the bottom. Leave those as-is and hit the other three (much farther apart) holes with your Hammer. Hitting the holes with your Hammer causes them to close. Hit the three holes whether the prairie dog is there or not. This will limit it to only traveling between the two holes that are close together near the corner. Position yourself between the holes. Then, walk over to the prairie dog to make it travel to the next hole, where you can already be primed to hit it with your Hammer. Rescuing the Toad also earns you 1,000 coins!
That’s It for Now
That’s about all the secrets you can find in Picnic Road at this time. Your next step is to leave Picnic Road and enter Overlook Mountain. To keep following along with this walkthrough click here, or go to the Overlook Mountain page! Check out the section below after completing the Earth Vellumental Temple to find more secrets in Picnic Road!
This section lists the secrets you can unlock in Picnic Road after completing the Earth Vellumental Temple.
There are now shops open on the right side of the Earth Vellumental Temple door. Speak to the merchant Toad to find Collectible Treasure No.22 Shellvation is Near. Buying it costs 2400 coins. Spending over 5,000 coins in the shops gets you a 20% off membership! After destroying the Red Streamer, visit this shop to find Collectible Treasure No.23 Vellumental Idol.
Toad Rescue #30 ✓
- Toad Rescue #30: To the left of the Earth Vellumental Temple door is a Toad standing next to a cart. Talk to the Toad and buy “popcorn” to rescue several Toads from the cart. Sorry but you won’t get any popcorn…
Toad Rescue #31 ✓
- Toad Rescue #31: On the table of the shop closest to the boxes in the foreground, hammer the mushroom to rescue the Toad.
Visit Picnic Road after you’ve destroyed the Red Streamer to find the final secrets. Collectible Treasure No.23 Vellumental Idol is now available at the shops outside the entrance to the Earth Vellumental Temple. With the Red Streamer Destroyed, you can now enter the area around the Sensor Lab. There is a ledge to the right of the building containing a chest. Open the chest to get Collectible Treasure No.24 Sensor Lab. Enter the lab to rescue the operator and receive the Toad Radar.
Toad Rescue #32 ✓
- Toad Rescue #32: Hammer the fax Machine to rescue the Senor Lab operator.
Toad Rescue #33 ✓
- Toad Rescue #33: Hammer the sign to the right of the front door of the Sensor Lab to cause a folded Toad to fly out. Then, hammer the Toad to complete the rescue.