A full spec list for the PlayStation 5 has been revealed first at Digital Foundry.
- CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
- GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)
- GPU Architecture: Custom RDNA 2
- Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit
- Memory Bandwidth: 448GB/s
- Internal Storage: Custom 825GB SSD
- IO Throughput: 5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)
- Expandable Storage: NVMe SSD Slot
- External Storage: USB HDD Support
- Optical Drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive
PS5 Specs Reveal Presentation
The biggest talking point will be the console’s 10.28 teraflop GPU. Recent discussion around consoles has centred around teraflops – a measure of how many calculations the GPU can perform per second. Many will be quick to point to the drop off from Xbox Series X’s 12 teraflop GPU, although system architect Mark Cerny pointed out how that doesn’t tell the full story, even calling it “dangerous” to rely on that count as an indicator of performance.
The pitch is that the PS5’s custom RDNA 2 GPU is optimised and improved in ways beyond teraflop count, such that it will offer power beyond that expected from it.
Make sure to check out every detail we’ve learned in today’s PS5 showcase. You can also check out the full Xbox Series X specs here.