Talk to the doctor who’s standing diagonally from the Leaf House orphanage.
If you talk to the doctor a few times, he’ll give you some hints. Here they are. We’ve added our own hints afterwards, ours are more obvious in case the doctor’s hints weren’t enough
- My son claims he got a mortar from a moogle. If you can believe a crazy story like that. Buy an item from the Moogle Emporium
- Couple of my patients were talking about a behemoth in some underground lab or something. Think back to the fight you had with some experiments gone wrong
- Apparently, Aerith was looking after flowers elsewhere – not just at her house. Think back to where else you saw Aerith with flowers.
Answer Alert: Below is where you need to go to get the doctor’s ingredients.
Buy Moogle’s Mortar
Head to the Children’s Secret Hideout and buy from The Moogle Emporium. Buy the Moogle Mortar.
Fast travel to Sector 5 Undercity – Church.
Enter the church and pick up the item on the floor to get the Medicinal Flower.
Fast travel to Sector 6 Undercity – Evergreen Park.
Talk to Wymer (a NPC standing near the playground) and he’ll give you the Subterranean Menace side quest. You’ll need to complete this to get the final ingredient.
Follow the path, going all the way down to the Underground Lab – B5. Along the way you’ll meet several enemies such as Varghidpolis, Wrath Hound, Monodrive, and Ringmaw. All of these are weak to Ice Materia.
How to Beat Type-0 Behemoth
Here’s how to beat the Type-0 Behemoth.
- Weaknesses: none
- Immunities: Sleep
- Stealable Items: Enchanted Ring
Cripple and knock down its upper or lower body. While one is knocked down do the same to the other to stagger the beast. It will counter if attacked with spells while its horns are still intact.
As always, this comes down to personal preference, your strengths, and your combat style. Here’s our suggestion.
- Fire/Wind/Ice/Lightning/Poison Materia: You can’t use magic spells at first but once the horns are gone you can. Slot some of your most powerful magic.
- ATB Stagger Materia: Increases ATB when staggering an enemy which works well here because you’ll have to stagger the Behemoth several times.
- Steadfast Block Materia: Further decrease enemy damage and fills the ATB gauge. Again, you’ll want to constantly fill that gauge.
- ATB Boost: double ATB when activated!
- Assess Materia: to get that enemy intel
- Steal Materia: to steal the Enchanted Ring
- Auto-Cure Materia: can be helpful to put on your healer, if they’re someone you’re not controlling as often since auto-cure only works if the character isn’t selected.
- Heal Materia + Magnify: healing is always helpful. Consider Prayer or Chakra as well.
- MP Up Materia(s): Increases MP.
- HP Up Materia(s): Increases HP
- Barrier Materia: the best offense is a good defense.
Behemoth Boss Fight Tips
- Don’t use attack with magic while its horns are still intact! Instead, use physical attacks on the upper and lower body.
- The Behemoth often turns its face/horns towards who is attacking it, making it invulnerable (while its horns are intact). Move around it or just change characters to someone on the side of the Behemoth.
- Behemoth moves around often and quickly so be sure to swap between characters often. Barret really shines in this battle since he can still do physical damage from a distance. Be sure to give him a gun rather than the steel pincers.
- Taking down one part of its body will cause it to collapse for a short period of time. It won’t move or attack you much during this time but it will still occasionally slam its upper body at you or swipe its tail (whichever end still has health can hurt you).
- Once you have depleted the health bar for both the upper and lower body it will become staggered and the Behemoth and the Behemoth’s horns will both finally be vulnerable to damage.
- When the Behemoth gets back up its upper and lower body will have full health again.
- Repeat this cycle until you’ve won!
- Note: You do not need to destroy the horns to beat the Behemoth but it gives you the opportunity to finally use magic so it’s a good strategy.
Behemoth Attacks and How to Deal With Them
- Rampage – Behemoth will glow red and then an area of effect blast will form around it. Run/roll away to avoid this.
- Body Slam – Once you deplete the health of one part of its body it will fall to the ground but can still attack with the healthy body part. Watch out for body slams and tail swipes!
- Maximum Fury – the best will charge towards you and use its horns to flick you into the air. You can’t block this but you might be able to dodge it. It’s best to take control of another character rather than take the beast head on yourself (you can’t damage it while its horns are in tact anyway). Coming face to face with it will only hurt you. It can also pounce on your completely similar to dog enemies.
- Revitalize – Once the stagger period is over a blast of air will emit from its body while it restores its Upper and Lower body to full health. Run/roll out of the way to avoid getting hit.
- Counter Flare – As long as its horns are intact it will counter all your magic attacks. You can destroy the horns using the tips above.
- ??? – this attack only happened for us when the beast was down to a sliver of health, rock. It stood up and roared towards the ceiling, rocks fells down but they didn’t seem to do damage. At this point, switch to Barrett and fill it with bullets until the battle is done.
With the Behemoth defeated, fast travel to the surface by pressing and holding L1.
Once you have the Moogle’s Mortar, the Medicinal Flowers, and the Behemoth Horn, return to the doctor and give him all 3 of the items but be sure to talk to Wymer too to get the reward for completing the Subterranean Menace quest!
Subterranean Menace Reward
Here are the rewards you get for completing Subterranean Menace.
- Barret’s Wrecking Ball Weapon
- HP and MP fully restored
Here are the rewards you get for completing secret medicine.
- Telluric Scriptures Vol. III
- HP and MP fully restored.