Welcome to Shogun Studios
You’ll access Shogun Studios after filling up the lake at Autumn Mountain and riding the boat through Eddy River. You can’t continue down the river because the Blue Streamer is blocking your path. Lucky for you, the source of the Blue Streamer can be found here at Shogun Studios. When you first arrive at this location, prioritize tearing the tape off of the Blue Warp pipe all the way to the left. Doing so allows you to use the pipes to quickly travel to Toad Town and other worlds. There are a couple of things you can do before entering Shogun Studios. You’ll also need 9,800 coins to buy the Royalty-status Entry Pass. If you want to learn what they are, continue reading this section; otherwise, skip to the section below. At this point, you can visit the Battle Lab to get the Puzzle Solver for free. You can also use the boat at the Toad Town Port and explore the Great Sea.
Shogun Studios Entrance
To enter the park, you’ll need to buy an Entry Pass from the machine next to the gate. Buy the Royalty pass for 9,800 coins. The Royalty Pass allows you to gain all the secrets in Shogun Studios. There’s no need to buy the Commoner Pass. From the vending machine, go right and stand between the two lanterns on the perch. Jump to reveal Hidden ?-Block containing a Fire Hammer.
Toad Rescue #1 ✓
- Toad Rescue #1: To the right of the Blue #2 Warp Pipe, there is an origami heart on the floor. Hammer the heart to rescue the Toad. You can find this Toad later on in Toad Town, next to the red-brick building. Talking to this Toad will heal you if you’ve lost HP.
Shogun Studios Map
Check out the image of the Shogun Studios map above. You can also view this map by walking up to the map signs located throughout the studio. This wiki guide will reference the names of buildings labeled on this map, as well as the the Areas labebled with letters that have been added for this guide.
Let’s Go Inside!
There are a couple of things to note regarding Shogun Studios. Hammer the lanterns on the street and inside buildings to receive coins. Buildings you can enter have a rectangular stone slab on the ground in front of the door you can use.
Once you’re ready to enter the park, go through the right lane of the gate and use your Royalty Pass to be allowed in. Keep walking and cross the bridge. After crossing the bridge, continue walking on the main street toward the background. A Goomba will stop you and ask you to follow them. Follow the Goomba through the left alley until you reach the rest of the folks talking around a table. After speaking with the group, hit the ?-Block (contains Tail) near the top corner of the area. Go right to reach the park’s main street again.
Go inside the Information Center. Walk up to the chest and use your Royalty Pass to gain Collectible Treasure No.40 Downriver Tour Boat. Ignore the Souvenir Shop – it’s empty at the moment. Walk to the intersection near you. You’ll see several Origami Snifits. Battle and defeat all the Snifits in the area.
Toad Rescue #2 ✓
- Toad Rescue #2: You can enter the building at the front-left corner of the intersection. Hammer the red origami fan that’s sitting on top of the drawers to rescue the Toad.
Fighting Origami Snifits
This is the first place where you’ll battle Origami Snifits. Snifits can be annoying to fight because they have high HP and can call reinforcements to come in between rounds. Focus on taking out as many Snifits as you can to avoid more enemies showing up. To take out a Snifit in one hit, your attack needs to deal over 24 points of damage. This can be accomplished with the lineup bonus and an Excellent Hit with the Shiny Hammer. This may not always happen, so if you do need to hit them twice, always use your Shiny-type weapon first and then use the regular weapons for the second hit. This will help you conserve the wear on your Shiny weapons.
Shogun Accessories Shop
After fighting the Snifits, follow the street to the left. Near the intersection, you’ll find a Toad stuck between a large display and the building behind it. This is the Accessories Shop owner at Shogun Studios. The Toad will set up shop in front of the Souvenir Shop. The only Accessory this Toad sells is the Petal Bag for 5,000 coins. The Petal Bag turns your confetti into cherry blossom petals. This is solely a cosmetic option. It’ll be placed on the fifth slot of the Accessories tab of the Menu. You can only equip a maximum of two Accessories from this slot.
Toad Rescue #3 ✓
- Toad Rescue #3: On the left side of the main intersection, the owner of the Shogun Studios Accessories Shop is stuck between a large display and the building behind it.
After rescuing the Accessory Shop owner, continue following the street to the left. Not-Bottomless Hole#1 is on the first door of the small building. Fix it and enter the building to rescue the Toad inside.
Toad Rescue #4 ✓
- Toad Rescue #4: After Fixing Not-Bottomless Hole#1, enter the building. At the back-right corner of the room, hammer the origami flower on the wall to rescue the Toad.
Toad Rescue #5 ✓
- Toad Rescue #5: Enter the building to the left of the previous one. Inside the building, there’s an origami Shy Guy messing with the small drawers at the back wall. After battling the origami soldier, hammer the small set of drawers to release a trio of Toads. Then, Hammer each Toad to rescue all three.
Toad Rescue #6 ✓
- Toad Rescue #6: Enter the building on the left side of Area A. Once inside, hammer the zabuton* that’s on the back-left side of the table. Stand next to the zabuton when hammering it. If you’re standing on it, it cannot flip over. Hammer the origami cat that flips out of the zabuton to rescue the Toad. *Zabuton is the name of the cushions that are used to sit on the tatami mats.
Going down the right street takes you to Area B. You’ll find two origami Shy Guys guarding the gate above. After defeating the origami soldiers, fix Not-Bottomless Holes #2 & 3 on the ground at the right side of the area. Then, go toward the foreground and make your way to the Tea House.
Toad Rescue #7 ✓
- Toad Rescue #7: After defeating the origami Shy Guys, hammer the lantern to the right of where they were standing to rescue a Toad.
Tea House and Petting Zoo
In the area between the Tea House and the Petting Zoo, there are small and large Not-Bottomless Holes on the ground. Use your confetti to fix the two Not-Bottomless Holes #4 & 5. Enter the Tea House and speak with the Shy Guy near the back-right corner of the room. The Shy Guy will give you a Straw, which you need to complete the trading sequence that leads to the Master Key. Use your Royalty Pass to access the chest behind the Shy Guy to gain Collectible Treasure No.41 Chestnuts.
Toad Rescue #8 ✓
- Toad Rescue #8: Inside the Tea House, hammer the second zabuton* from the foreground on the left side of the room.
Toad Rescue #9 ✓
- Toad Rescue #9: In front of the Tea House, hammer the umbrella on the bottom-left table to cause it to open and release the Toad.
Toad Rescue #10 ✓
- Toad Rescue #10: There is an origami dog barking at Princess, the Chain Chomp blocking the way to the Ninja House. Hammer it to rescue the Toad.
To the Theater We Go!
Toad Rescue #11 ✓
- Toad Rescue #11: Enter the blue-roof building on the right side of the main street that leads to the theater (what Olivia calls “the castle”). Once inside the building, hammer the hat hanging on the right wall to rescue a Toad.
Cross the bridge and reach the theater to discover that you need a key to unlock the front gate. The key is somewhere in the park. Cross over the bridge to return to the rest of the park. Rescue the next Toad to learn where the key might be. Then, follow the street to the right side of the park, and along the way, hit the ?-Block (contains coins) to the right of the Save Block.
Toad Rescue #12 ✓
- Toad Rescue #12: Hammer the with the sad Toad face to the right of the bridge. This Toad tells you that the staff room is the most likely place for the key to be.
Continue following the street to the right side of the park as it makes a Z shape.
Toad Rescue #13 ✓
- Toad Rescue #13: There are three potted plants in front of the fence that travels alongside the street. To the right of the three plants, there is an origami dragonfly zipping up and down next to the fence. Hammer it to rescue the Toads.
Wiithin the Courtyard of Area C
Below and to the left of where you rescued the previous Toad, fix Not-Bottomless Hole#6 on the ground. At the end of the Z turn, you’ll need to battle the origami Snifits in front of the gate to Area C. Next to the gate, there are two potted plants with an empty pot between them. Hammer the empty pot to gain a Mushroom. Go through the gate to enter Area C. Shortly after entering Area C, you’ll find Not-Bottomless Hole#7 on the ground.
Toad Rescue #14 ✓
- Toad Rescue #14: After fixing the Not-Bottomless Hole, walk over to the second lantern and hit it with your Hammer to make a Magic Circle appear. Stand on it and use the 1,000-Fold Arms to reach the plain white lantern above at the front of the building. Hit the lantern to rescue the Toad.
Toad Rescue #15 ✓
- Toad Rescue #15: Jump on the crates at the back-left corner of the courtyard to get onto the small ledge on the front of the building. Hammer the plain white lantern to rescue the Toad.
Trade the Straw for the Shuriken
You’ll need the Master Key to unlock the door of the main building. While you’re in the courtyard, speak to the sad-looking Ninji next to the pool and offer it the straw. Then, trade the Straw for the Shuriken. Don’t exit Area C through the gate. Instead, climb up onto the large crate at the bottom-left of the courtyard. Stand on top of the largest crate and jump up to reveal a Hidden ?-Block containing an Ice Hammer. From here, you can now jump over the fence to exit Area C.
After exiting Area C, follow the street to the right before reaching Area D; you’ll notice a short barrel surrounded by short picket fences. Get on top of the barrel, then jump to reveal a Hidden ?-Block containing a Tail item. Fix Not-Bottomless Holes #8 & 9 near the end of the street – in front of Area D.
Toad Rescue #16 ✓
- Toad Rescue #16: In front of Area D, there is an origami dragonfly zipping left and right near the fence. Hammer the dragonfly to rescue the Toad.
Employees Only Entrance
The entrance to get to the Staff Room is camouflaged in the fence. Walk up to the bamboo fence with the fake hedges behind it. On the right side, there is a door that you can open to go into the courtyard. Check out the image below for the exact spot.
After going through the hidden door, fix Not-Bottomless Hole#10 in the center of the courtyard. At the top-left corner of the courtyard, slightly obscured by the leaves on the tree, open the chest to gain Collectible Treasure No.43 Relaxing Bench. After fixing the hole and getting the treasure, use the door at the back to enter the Staff Room.
You need to rescue all four Toads inside the Staff Room to progress further.
Toad Rescue #17 ✓
- Toad Rescue #17: On top of the first cabinet on the left side of the room, you’ll see a folded Toad. Use your Hammer to rescue the Toad.
Toad Rescue #18 ✓
- Toad Rescue #18: At the back-left corner of the room, open the locker on the left to rescue the Toad that operates the Shuriken Dojo. This Toad was definitely not sleeping!
Toad Rescue #19 ✓
- Toad Rescue #19: Hammer the trash can next to the lockers in the back of the room. This Toad will discover that the Master Key has gone missing!
Toad Rescue #20 ✓
- Toad Rescue #20: Go to the paper macho Goomba mask on the shelf at the right wall. Press and hold A to pull the Toad out of the Goomba’s mouth.
Take All Three Paper Macho Masks!
After rescuing the Toad stuck in the Goomba mask, you’ll be allowed to take all three paper macho masks in the room. Stand in front of each mask to acquire it. After taking all the masks, head back outside to the street.
Since you rescued the Toad who operates the Shuriken Dojo, now is a good time to go there. Follow the street to the left. Just before you get to the Save Block, turn toward the foreground and tear off the tape that blocks the gate into Area B. Don’t use the gate though; continue left along the street you were using. When you get to the intersection of the main street in front of the theater, walk down and go into the alleyway on the left. When you enter the area of the Shuriken Dojo, fix Not-Bottomless Hole #11 on the wall by the alleyway. Go to the front-left corner of the courtyard to get the 100-coin.
Toad Rescue #21 ✓
- Toad Rescue #21: Jump onto the boxes behind the 100-coin. Get on top of the biggest crate to reach the black and white origami shuriken on the bottom-right of the big target.
Enter the Shuriken Dojo and speak to the Toad behind the counter. Give the Toad the shuriken you received from trading with the Ninji. This allows you to play the shuriken challenges. The Royalty Pass lets you do them for free, and you can do them as many times as you want. Do the Practice first to learn how the mechanics work.
- Here are some tips that might help you with the shuriken challenges:
- You only need to use the L-Stick to move and the B-button to hammer the launchers.
- Press X anytime to quit.
- The launchers take about 2-3 seconds to reload, so don’t spam them randomly.
- Try to use every launcher.
- For Expert Mode – try to get every 8 and 5 that you can.
- There are stationary and moving targets.
- High-value stationary targets, such as 5 and 8, disappear faster than the other value.
- Keep a lookout for high-value double-sided targets.
Once you’ve gotten the hang of the game, play the Normal mode. You need to successfully clear the Normal mode to progress the story. In normal mode, you’ll need to score exactly 21 points within the one-minute time limit. If you score over 21 points, you need to use the negative targets to subtract from your total. Once you have exactly 21 points, you’ll win the game. If the time limit runs out, and you haven’t gotten the exact 21 points, you’ll need to play it again. When you successfully clear Normal mode, you’ll receive the autographed Baseball for a prize. You’ll need this Baseball to continue your trading sequence.
In expert mode, you need to score 80 or more points within the time limit. You do not have to clear Expert mode to progress the story. Clearing Expert mode (the first time) earns you Collectible Treasure No.44 Paper Macho Koopa Troopa. After gaining the Collectible Treasure, clearing Expert mode will win you Fire or Ice Hammers. You can see the available prizes on the shelves above the Toad.
If you complete Expert mode with a score of 100 points or more, you’ll receive the Trophy – Shuriken Master when you visit the Museum and speak to the curator.
When you exit the Shuriken Dojo, instead of using the alleyway on the right to leave the area,jump onto the crates on the left side of the courtyard. From the top of the largest crate, jump left to reach the area around the Photo Studio.
Toad Rescue #22 ✓
- Toad Rescue #22: Enter the Photo Studio and walk to the left wall. Hammer the picture frame of the sad-looking Toad to rescue the Toad.
There’s a secluded alleyway on the left side of the Photo Studio. Walk into the alley to find Not-Bottomless Hole #12. Fix it and walk to the fence in the back to listen to the origami soldiers. They’ll mention that the paper macho soldier can be awakened with a loud noise. You can enter the building on the right side of the alleyway. Once inside, repeatedly hammer the ash at the center of the room to receive a whole bunch of coins. Enter the building on the right side of the alleyway to rescue a Toad and find a chest. Use the Royalty Pass to open the chest and receive Collectible Treasure No.42 Water Vellumental’s Wheel.
Toad Rescue #23 ✓
- Toad Rescue #23: Inside the building, on the right side of the alleyway, walk to the front-right corner of the room to find a Toad stuck inside some hanging clothing. Press and hold A to rescue the Toad.
To the Rooftops
You can use the cart in this alley to reach the ledges of the buildings above. If you hammer the sign directly above the cart, you’ll have to battle an origami Goomba. Win the battle if you need to refill your confetti. You can use the ledge to walk toward the foreground and cross over to the roof of the Photo Studio.
Toad Rescue #24 ✓
- Toad Rescue #24: Hammer the sign on the right of the Photo Studio’s roof to rescue the Toad.
After using the cart in the alleyway to reach the ledge, follow it all the way to the foreground. Walk around the corner and keep walking left to find Not-Bottomless Hole#13 on the wall of the building on the left. After fixing the hole, hop over the fence to go inside the Lookout Tower. Use the ladder at the back-left corner of the room to reach the top floor of the tower. Use your Hammer to ring the bell. This wakes up the paper macho Koopa Troopa and causes it to start stomping around the street in front of the Photo Studio. Descend down the ladder. On the second floor, jump into the hole at the front-right corner of the room to drop to the ground floor.
Toad Rescue #25 ✓
- Toad Rescue #25: Hammer the bell around 30 times in a row to cause a folded Toad to drop out of it. Then, hammer the Toad to complete the rescue. If you’ve Hammered over 30 times and the Toad still hasn’t dropped, you may need to defeat the paper macho Koopa Troopa first.
Toad Rescue #26 ✓
- Toad Rescue #26: On the ground floor of the tower, battle the origami Goombas that are harassing the Toad. Win the battle to rescue the Toad.
Paper Macho Koopa Troopa
After rescuing the Toad, tear the tape off of the door to be able to exit the tower. Once you’re outside, you’ll need to handle that paper macho Koopa Troopa. The seal is on its back. Use the geography to your advantage. You can easily escape the Koopa Troopa by going into the secluded alleyway beside the Photo Shop. Destroy the seal and hammer the paper macho Koopa Troopa three times to defeat it. You’ll need the Master Key to enter the House of Riddles, so it’s time to get back to our objective. Tear off the tape from the gate in front of the area where the Photo Studio is to be able to access Area A. From here, go back to Area B at the right side of the park.
When you reach Area B, go through the gate that had been blocked by the origami soldiers. Fix Not-Bottomless Holes #14 & 15 on the ground at left side of the street and Not-Bottomless Hole #16 on the ground on the right side of the street. Then, enter to rescue several Toads inside the building using the farthest-right door. Once inside, hammer the barrel on the left to gain a Mushroom. Then, hammer each barrel on the right side of the room to cause three origami bugs. To hammer the fourth barrel, you may need to stand on the raised platform. Then, jump on top of the barrel next to it and hammer the lid. Hammer the origami bonsai that this barrel releases to rescue the Toad.
Toad Rescue #27 ✓
- Toad Rescue #27: Hammer origami grasshopper.
Toad Rescue #28 ✓
- Toad Rescue #28: Hammer origami scarab.
Toad Rescue #29 ✓
- Toad Rescue #29: Hammer origami butterfly.
Toad Rescue #30 ✓
- Toad Rescue #30: Hammer origami bonsai tree.
After rescuing all the Toads from the barrels, do not exit the room by using the front door. Instead, jump on top of the drawers in the back of the room. At the back-left corner of the room, hammer the left wall to access the next room. After rescuing the Toad, you’ll need to battle the origami Shy Guy to exit through the front door.
Toad Rescue #31 ✓
- Toad Rescue #31: Hammer the blue origami fish above the pot in the middle of the room.
Use the final door on the left to enter the final room in the building. Walk over to the back-right corner of the room. Hammer the floor at the corner to reveal a Hidden ?-Block containing a coin.
Toad Rescue #32 ✓
- Toad Rescue #32: After revealing the Hidden ?-Block jump on top of it, jump again to hit the origami flower hanging in that corner of the room.
Ball for the Bone
After rescuing the Toad, exit the room through the doorway in the back wall. In the backyard, you’ll find two Dry Bones playing catch. Talk to the nearest Dry Bone and trade your Baseball for their Bone. You can now give the bone to Princess!
With the Bone in your possession, make your way back to the Petting Zoo and to Princess. There is a food bowl on the ground to the right of the Petting Zoo sign. Walk to the food bowl and select the Bone. Princess will love you so much, you’ll earn a MAX UP Heart +20! Princess is no longer blocking your path.
Toad Rescue #33 ✓
- Toad Rescue 33: After giving Princess the Bone, walk inside the open-air stable. Hammer the origami bug that drops from the ceiling to rescue the Toad. This Toad unlocks the ability to fish in Shogun Studios. Wait until after you destroy the Blue Streamer to do your fishing! You’ll get better results.
Walk over to the area Princess was blocking. Fix the two Not-Bottomless Holes (#17 & 18) on the street between the Petting Zoo and the Ninja Attraction. After fixing the holes, walk to the bridge and tear off the colorful piece of tape to restore the bridge that connects this street to Area C. Return to the front of the Ninja Attraction, where you’ll encounter some origami Koopa Troopas. You can jump on top of them to defeat them without battling. Hit the ?-Block (Shiny Boots) in front of the Ninja Attraction. Fix Not-Bottomless#19 on the wall to the right of the ?-Block. Continue walking right until you find and fix Not-Bottomless Hole#20. Wait until after you clear the Blue Streamer to do the fishing. Walk through the large double doors to enter the Ninja Attraction.
When you return to Shogun Studios with the Master Key, you can access the theater and get to the Blue Streamer. However, there are still a bunch of things we can explore before doing that. Use the street between the Ninja Attraction and the Petting Zoo. Cross the bridge and enter Area C.
Area C with the Master Key
Toad Rescue #35 ✓
- Toad Rescue #35: Walk inside the first building on the right side of the courtyard. Hammer the ash in the center of the room to rescue a trio of Toads.
Walk to the gate behind the pool and use the Master Key to unlock it. Go inside the porch and walk to the right to open the chest and gain Collectible Treasure No.47 Canned-Food Par-tay Trio. Then, walk to the left side of the porch and fix Not-Bottomless Hole#21 on the wall of the building to restore the Sensor Lab’s Shogun Studios Satellite Office. Enter the office and rescue the Toad to unlock Fax Travel at this location.
Toad Rescue #36✓
- Toad Rescue #36: Inside the satellite office, press and hold A to rescue the Toad stuck inside the fax machine.
House of Riddles
Exit Area C and follow the street to reach the left side of the park.
Toad Rescue #37 ✓
- Toad Rescue #37: Go inside the building that is directly before the entrance to the House of Riddles. Inside you’ll find four lanterns. Hammer all four lanterns to rescue all four Toads.
After rescuing the four Toads from the lanterns, walk through the gate leading to the House of Riddles. Reach the left end of the street in front of the House of Riddles. Position yourself at the front-right corner of the lantern and jump to reveal the Hidden ?-Block containing Collectible Treasure No.49 Water Vellumental Shrine. Use the Master Key to enter the House of Riddles.
Reading the sign inside gives you the clue to solve the puzzle. There is a room on the right side and the left side. These rooms need to be arranged as mirror images of one another. Walk to the room on the left. You can adjust the position of the doors, whether or not the drawers are opened, and flip the cushions to whatever color you want. You’ll need to adjust at least three things in the room. You can then use the capture button on your controller to take a screenshot of the room, should that help you out. After you’ve made your adjustments, walk over to the room on the right side. Make this room look like a reflection of the left room. Once it’s done, the camera will pan between the rooms, and the doors in the center room will open to reveal a chest. Open the chest to gain a MAX UP Heart +5! Then, exit the House of Riddles and head to the Souvenir Shop.
When you have the Master Key, visit the Souvenir Shop and rescue the Toad to get the shop running. With the Souvenir Shop open, you can now buy Collectible Treasure No.46. Big Sho’ Theater. It’s quite expensive, so be sure to equip the Membership Card Accessory to get a 20% discount.
Toad Rescue #38 ✓
- Toad Rescue #38: Enter the Souvenir Shop and use the Master Key to unlock the gate at the back of the store. Go up the stairs. Enter the door and close the door behind you to rescue the shop owner Toad.
After buying your provisions at the Souvenir Shop, it’s time to go to the Big Sho’ Theater! Exit the shops and walk up the main street to go to the theater. Use the Save Block, cross the bridge, and use the Master Key to unlock the gate.
After destroying the Blue Streamer, visit Shogun Studios to find several secrets. You’ll also be able to take photos at the Photo Studio.
- Go to the backyard where you traded the Ball for the Bone with the two Dry Bones. Defeat the origami Snifit and jump near the left side of the screen to reveal a Hidden ?-Block containing a Hurlhammer.
Ring the Bell
- Ring the bell at Lookout Tower 100 times in a row to receive Collectible Treasure No.48 Lookout Tower Bell.
Fishing for Secrets
Legendary Cheep Cheep
- After destroying the Blue Streamer visit the fishing spot in Shogun Studios to be able to catch the Legendary Cheep Cheep. Chances are you’ll get faked out by fakes that result in being Ninjis. Keep fishing you’ll find it eventually.
Collectible Treasure No.45
Go fishing for Collectible Treasure No.45 Canned Tuna. You’ll need to wait for a small sparkly fish to appear.
Toad Rescue #39 ✓
- Toad Rescue #39: Go fishing in Shogun Studios. One of the small fish silhouettes is an origami fish-Toad. Reel in th fish and then hammer it to rescue the Toad.