Bushes and shrubs are only sold with the arrival of a new merchant, Leif, and his Flower Shop. Leif will appear in your town plaza during and after the Nature Day event, provided that you have already helped Timmy build Nook’s Cranny on your island (which requires you to pay off your first loan).
When Leif appears on random days, he will sell two types of shrub starters – one that is currently in season, and one other type. Most come in 2 types of colors, and can be bought in single or in a bulk of 5.
While shrubs and bushes may seem like flowers, they are actually more like tiny trees. To plant a shrub start, you can access the shrub in your inventory and select “plant” to drop it at your feet, unless something is blocking the way.
- They do not need water to grow – watering cans have no effect on them
- They will mature over a the course of a few days, with an extra day for seasonal flowers to bloom. once they begin growing, you will not be able to walk through them like flowers.
- They cannot be bred to create more or hybrid flowers, as watering cans have no effect on them whatsoever.
- They can be dug up at any time and replanted with the shovel – their small size means you don’t need to ingest fruit.
- When it rains, you can find Snails crawling on them!
- Bushes don’t die when out of season, they just won’t show up – just talk to Leif to see which shrubs are in season.
There are currently 6 known types of shrubbery that you can buy – each corresponds to a different season, and most come in two known colors. They include:
- Azaeleas (White and Pink) – Bloom in Spring
- Hibiscus (Red and Yellow) – Bloom in Summer
- Tea Olives (Orange and Yellow) – Bloom in Fall
- Holly (Red) – Bloom in Winter
- Hydrangea (Blue and Pink) – ?
- Camellia (Pink and Red – ?