Even ACNH’s Golden Tools aren’t unbreakable but you can experience and enjoy unbreakable tools by using this couch co-op exploit. As of Nintendo Switch version 10.0.0, you can remap the Switch buttons. You can set up custom button mapping that allows you to control 2 characters at once (one on each joy-con).
The “Follower” player’s tools never break (as long and they’re not switched to being the Leader).
The “tools still take damage but won’t break but still won’t break even at max damage until you use the tool in solo mode or as the leader” as clarified by Omni Jacala (@artsyomni) on Twitter – who pointed out this exploit.
There are plenty of pains and limitations to using this exploit. For instance, Only the leader has full access to their pockets, can enter buildings, shop, and only the leader can pick up fruit and wood. Followers can catch fish and bugs but those will automatically be stored in the recycle bin in Resident Services – to be retrieved later.
To some, this may be more trouble than its worth. However, it can still be a good way to accomplish some daily tasks without worrying about tools bursting into thin air.
Here’s how to do couch co-op and how to delete the dummy player once you’ve had your fill of this exploit.
Couch Co-Op Local Multiplayer (Party Play)
Up to 8 players can live on one island; 4 players living on the same island can play together – at the same time – on a single system (couch co-op style). Here’s how to do it.
- Have one player set up their life on the island (i.e gone to sleep after the welcome party) – establishing themself as the Resident Rep. They can never leave the island! Their account is locked to it.
- Have any other account on the Switch can start the game and join the established island. This will require you to make a second account if you haven’t already but don’t worry about linking it to a Nintendo account.
- Remember, each person who lives on the Island can have their own house.
- When new players join the island they’ll get a NookPhone that features a new app called “Call Islander.”
- This app is automatically added to the original Islander aka the Resident Rep’s phone. This means you’ll get this app.
- You can use this app, at any time, to call other residents who live on the same island to come play with you! Up to 8 people can live on an Island BUT only 4 people can play via couch co-op at once.
- Whoever made the call is automatically the leader and the rest are followers.
- Because it’s not split-screen the followers will automatically follow the leader, popping into the screen if they straggle behind.
- Only the leader has full access to their pockets, can enter buildings, shop, and only the leader can pick up fruit and wood. Followers can still catch fish and bugs but those will automatically be stored in the recycle bin in Resident Services – to be retrieved later.
- Fortunately, you can easily change the leader at any time during your play session by shaking your joy-con or doing this change from the Call an Islander app.
Note: if you’re sharing an island keep in mind that only the Resident Rep can make progress in terms of buildings and facilities.
How to Remove Someone From Your Island
If you’re over the idea of sharing an island, freedom is possible! But remember the person who named the Island i.e the Resident Rep cannot leave. Everyone else totally can!
The person leaving the island needs to launch the game. When the home screen appears press the (-) to access Settings. Then select save data settings. From here the person can remove themselves from the island. This will cause them, their money and items, their property, and even villagers’ memories of them to disappear completely.
For more ACNH hacks be sure to check out our Cheats and Secrets page which features the easiest way to make millions and much more.